Monday, February 19, 2007

How Does Video Games Affect Kid's Vision?

My next step of my International Teen Life Project is to put how does video games affect kid's health. I decided to do this post about that because I already wrote of video games and I wanted to do one of health. I also wanted to know how action video games affected the percent of a kid’s vision. Here is my copy and paste paragraph.

"Researchers at the University of Rochester have shown that people who played
action video games for a few hours a day over the course of a month improved by
about 20 percent in their ability to identify letters presented in clutter—a
visual acuity test similar to ones used in regular ophthalmology clinics."
In this page I learned that playing action video games can make changes in how our brain process visual information. Some times it can make you see symbols more clearly with one eye, even though that the symbols are very closer. These improvements are made when there is a substantial raise in the spatial motion of their vision. But these improvements can be notice after just 30 hours of playing.

One day Daphne Bavelier, a science professor, made a test with students from college. She divided the students into two groups. One of them was the experimental group and the other was the control group. In this test both groups needed to play a video game for one hour and then they needed to distinguish a “T” that was hidden with rare symbols. The experimental group played a game called “Unreal Tournament,” an action game, and the control group played “Tetris,” a game visually less complex. After one hour the experimental group could distinguish the “T,” but the control couldn’t. Action video games can make good and bad things to your vision. The good ones are the ones from the test that I just wrote, and the bad ones are that if you are playing the game very close to the television, the light that produce the game can give eye problems and you will need to use glasses or contact lenses.

I think that the parents should know what games they should buy to their children how many hours they should play on the day. Not only if in a test they show that if you play video games it will improve your ability to distinguish objects, you need to play a lot of video games. I have some recommendations for the parents:
You should let your kid play video games, but if you see him playing a lot you should stop him.
If you buy him an action game you should be aware if your kid is far away from the T.V because it produces a lot of light that can be harmful for their eyes.
I think that amount of hours that a kid should play in a day is 1 hour in a school day and 2 hours in the weekends. That is because in the school days a kid has more responsibilities.

Now I am interested in doing my new post on what are the effects of new technology like ipods, computers, cell phones, and other things that have to do with technology, on teenagers. Another thing that I would like to do is that since many teens use the computer I can make my new post on cyber-bulling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it really affect a lot it burn there eyes in no time so i recommend that a kids dont use video games its better do any sport .
also let me at that cosmetics for men is a revolutionary way to look better,